Transboundary Water Issues
From AquaPedia Case Study Database
This is a Key Question Category and contains key questions related to transboundary water management problems, issues, and conflicts.
Key Questions in this category include:
- How can mutual trust amongst riparians be nurtured? What actions erode that trust?
- How can packages or options that link issues creatively or build on possible technology innovations be employed to create non-zero sum choices within negotiations that include water resources?
- What considerations can be given to incorporating collaborative adaptive management (CAM)? What efforts have the parties made to review and adjust a solution or decision over time in light of changing conditions?
- What kinds of water treaties or agreements between countries can provide sufficient structure and stability to ensure enforceability but also be flexible and adaptable given future uncertainties?
- What mechanisms beyond simple allocation can be incorporated into transboundary water agreements to add value and facilitate resolution?