International Commission for the Protection of Lake Constance
– river basin organization
– formal commission
The multilateral commission was established 1961 and is based upon the Agreement on the Protection of the Lake Constance against Pollution (bereinkommen Ùber den Schutz des Bodensees gegen Verunreinigungen). It covers Lake Constance and includes Austria, Germany and Switzerland.
- 1 Relevant Water Law Principles
- 2 Organizational Bodies
- 3 Decision-making Mechanisms
- 4 Monitoring
- 5 Funding and Cost Share
- 6 Public Participation
- 7 External Links
- 8 Case Studies Related to International Commission for the Protection of Lake Constance
- 9 Articles linked to International Commission for the Protection of Lake Constance
Relevant Water Law Principles
International water law principles mentioned in legally relevant documents to this organization include: obligation to cooperate and obligation not to cause significant harm.
Organizational bodies include: Commission (Kommission), BOWIS and Expert Groups (Sachverstaendigenkreise).
Decisions of commission are taken with all parties present and unanimously; issues concerning administrative issues and procedures are decided with simple majority
Delegations report to commission on state of measures taken for protecting the lake, progress made and problems encountered (according to regulations in article 6 of the agreement). Monitoring is conducted to ensure water quality.
Approximately 232.000 euro are allocated for common projects, reports and public relations, riparian states provide funding for their own delegations and for joint undertakings Each member bears costs for own delegation and participation in groups of experts; joint costs such as costs for consultants, publications and projects are shared among members based on a sharing defined by the commission.
Media information, regular publication and special reports, own working group public relations, and website;IGKB is not an executing agency and gives only recommendations to members, stakeholders are involved according to the national legal possibilities Commission works with other international institutions, especially those working on lake constance and on rhine concerning navigation and fisheries 
- ^ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Schmeir, Susanne. International River Basin Organization Database. Oregon State University Program in Water Conflict Management and Transformation. Accessed online April 30 2014. http://www.transboundarywaters.orst.edu/research/RBO/index.html
- International River Basin Organization database — The International RBO Database was created by Susanne Schmeir as part of her PhD research and has been incorporated into the resources hosted by the Transboundary Freshwater Disputes Database at Oregon State University. It is available in a queryable online form, data download.
Case Studies Related to International Commission for the Protection of Lake Constance
|Projects and Initiatives||Agreements and Treaties|
|Purpose||river basin organization + and formal commission +|